Thursday, November 6, 2008

STRANGE THOUGHT FOR THE DAY


In the twelve years I was married to Sadistic Mama’s Boy, he had several jobs. Dude could not keep a job. I decided after a few years of marriage that he was just allergic to work. All the big news stories that happened while I was married to him – I would call him from work and tell him to turn on the TV and let me know what was happening because he was never working. He was at home, sitting with the channel changer or sleeping. He was unemployed for The Oklahoma Bombing, The O.J. Simpson Trial, 9/11, etc., all while I was supporting us financially. He was really good at getting jobs...just couldn’t keep one. You know that saying I can count on one hand...well, to count the many jobs he had, I would have to take off both shoes and count my toes after I counted off the fingers of both hands. But if I counted the number of years he was employed while we were married, I think I would make it to the second hand but just barely. After a while, he couldn’t get a job at all because his resume looked like a roadmap.
Anyway, I just had a strange memory come to mind today about one of his jobs. He worked for a short time for this store in Park Plaza called Suncoast Motion Pictures. It’s not there anymore but it was a store that sold videos. Not used videos, new ones. Movies, sitcoms, etc. along with movie-related cups, toy figures and t-shirts. Anyway, I guess the owners were really concerned about theft so each day at closing, when the employees locked up the store and left, they had to raise up their pant legs and show each other their socks to make sure nobody was smuggling merchandise in their socks. Isn’t that strange? Yeah, I know, what a strange, random, thing for me to remember.

No comments: