Wednesday, November 12, 2008

OH NO! NOT MYRTLE!

Okay, you guys, you may be laughing at me right now but I grew up watching All My Children at my grandma’s house in the summer. My cousins, Melissa and Michelle, and I used to sit in front of her TV, with our drinks of koolaid in hand (it was supposed to be liquor) and act out the parts while we watched. Because I was the oldest, I always had to be the male part. What a pain. You know how they say you know you’re gonna be gay when you’re a kid? Well, I knew I wasn’t gay cause I always wanted to play the female actors. I loved Mrytle Fargate’s character while I was growing up. They just don’t make actors like Eileen Herlie anymore. I don’t even watch soaps now. The acting is atrocious and the story lines are stupid. All My Children has three couples that are good friends. Such good friends, that they’ve all slept with each other. Heck, two of them can be in bed together – commercial break – one of the characters in bed has been changed. Okay, not really, but it seems like they change bed partners that fast.
Eileen Herlie is one of the last good soap actors. I will miss her red hair, her dress shop, her wit, etc. Remember the old days on All My Children? Anytime anybody got hurt, you knew Joe the doctor was gonna operate and save their life. He and his wife were happy for years together. They didn’t cheat on each other. They had great family values. Joe is still on there but his wife only makes guest appearances. They don’t even have a happy couple on All My Children anymore. I mean, we all know Erica Kane has been married 97 times (he he he) but back then every soap had one or two characters like that. Now, all of them are promiscuous. And what about how much fun the villains used to be? Palmer Courtland and Adam Chandler/Stewart Chandler. Adam/Stewart is still around but Palmer’s gone. I know that these actors are getting older and are being replaced. But the villains now are just....boring. All the characters are. I guess those good actor and writer days are gone.
Anyway, if anyone is interested, I’m cutting and pasting a little on Eileen Herlie. She is one of the last of her kind. Literally a dying breed.

Daytime mainstay Eileen Herlie, who played the wise Myrtle Fargate for 32 years on ABC's "All My Children," died Wednesday, ABC has announced. Her death came from complications from pneumonia. She was 90 years old. (it was dated Thurs., Oct 9th)
Eileen Herlie joined the cast of All My Children in 1976, playing the role of Myrtle Fargate.
Born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland, Ms. Herlie worked for several years in the Scottish National Theatre and in the English theater in the company of Tyrone Guthrie. Among her first hit plays on the London stage was Jean Cocteau's The Eagle Has Two Heads.
On Broadway, she starred as Queen Gertrude opposite Richard Burton's Hamlet and played the same role in the film with Sir Laurence Olivier. She also starred on Broadway with Ruth Gordon in The Matchmaker, with Jackie Gleason and Walter Pidgeon in Take Me Along, with Ray Bolger in All American, and as Queen Mary in Crown Matrimonial. Ms. Herlie's other film credits include Freud with Montgomery Clift and Sidney Lumet's The Seagull with Simone Signoret.
Ms. Herlie guest starred as Myrtle Fargate on two other ABC daytime dramas, Loving and One Life To Live.


No comments: