Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WHO WANTS CAKE?


About seven years ago (give or take a year or so) I told one of my best friends that I wasn’t happy at the law firm where I was working back then. She said that maybe I was just burned out and needed a career change. She suggested I apply for a job where she worked. She worked for a bank. Long story short, I ended up working there too. I was in the trust department. Man, I hated that job. Crunching numbers all day long. I bet I didn’t type 10 letters in the six months I worked there. I love to type but crunching numbers? YUCK. I realized I had made a mistake. I actually missed working for a law firm. I was really out of my comfort zone. So I found a job with a law firm and gave two weeks notice with the bank. On my last day, the trust department had a little party for me and there were streamers and a little cake. The party was in a room which was located in the back of the trust department. My desk was in the front. Anyway, after the party was pretty much over, I want back to my desk. I could see the elevator from my desk. The elevator rang, the door opened, and this girl got out and walked up to my desk. I had never seen her before. She asked me if I was Kelly. I said yes. She said that she had heard that it was my last day with the bank. I told her yes. She said that she wanted to "give me her best wishes and hoped I did well in whatever endeavors I took on." I said thank you. Then we just looked at each other. I mean, I didn’t know her and I didn’t know what else to say. There was an uncomfortable silence and then she said.......was there a cake? NO WAY. She didn’t care what happened to me. She just wanted a piece of cake. So I pointed to the room down the hall. She said thank you and flounced down the hall. In a few minutes, she walked by me with a plate, fork, and yeah, a piece of cake. She walked right by me, never even looked my way, jumped on the elevator and left. That’s what I call having your cake and eating it too!!!!!!

No comments: