Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE RIGHT DOLL



When I was a little girl, my mom and dad would give me the Sears Roebuck catalog and let me pick out stuff for X-Mas. One year, I picked out a doll I wanted. There were two pictures of the same doll....one was black, one was white. I wanted the black doll. I went to my mom and dad and showed them the doll. They said I couldn’t have the black doll but I could have the white doll. I didn’t understand but I didn’t ask them why not. I wasn’t one to ask questions when I was a child. Now that I’m grown, I still don’t understand why I couldn’t have that black baby doll. Only difference is now that I’m grown, I ask questions. The election has brought all this back to me. Question: What is the difference between a black doll and a white doll? Answer: The only difference between the dolls is the color. They are made exactly the same.
One of the merriam webster definitions of prejudice is an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics.
If you didn’t vote for Obama because you thought who you did vote for would do a better job for our country, I can understand that. But if you didn’t vote for Obama because of the color of his skin.....well......that just makes me sad.







No comments: