Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DAVID JACOBS, I MISS YOU!

This coming August will be 30 years since I’ve been in the work force. Most of that time, I’ve worked for attorneys. Small firms, large firms, I’ve done it all. About five years ago, I was the manager of a whole floor in one of the skyscrapers in downtown Little Rock. This floor had offices for rent and most of the tenants were attorneys. I was in charge of showing the empty offices to perspective renters (had to have a real estate license for that), collecting monthly rent, as well as the phone answering, typing and mailing of correspondence for the whole floor. I was also the manager of two employees – another typist besides me and a receptionist. Most of the tenants didn’t have secretaries and they depended on us for just about everything. There were some really interesting characters on the floor.

I don’t usually name names in my blog, but I’m breaking my rule today. David Jacobs was one of my favorite tenants. I just loved him to death. He passed away shortly after I stopped working there. If you read my blog, you can see that I’m a big Faye and Jonathan Kellerman fan. I’ve been reading Faye’s books for a while now. I’m reading her 19th book right now. I only have about four more left of hers to read. After I finish those, I’m going to start reading Jonathan’s books.

David Jacobs also read Faye and Jonathan and every time he would finish one of their new books, he would just bring it to work and give it to me. Faye writes about a detective and his wife and they are Jewish. I have really enjoyed her books because I knew nothing about the Jewish faith before. I find the Jewish aspects of these books really interesting. David Jacobs was Jewish and we used to talk about the books after I read them. I recently finished Faye’s book "Street Dreams" and at one point while reading, I caught myself thinking that I couldn’t wait to discuss this book with David. Then I remembered he was gone. I’ll never get to talk to David about the Kellerman books again. Gee, it’s sad when you lose a friend. I really miss him.

No comments: