Monday, October 20, 2008

M & M's AND BLOODY KNEES






So one day, several years ago, I was walking to the Courthouse to file some pleadings for this law firm I was working for at the time. This was back when the Bankruptcy Court building was being remodeled and my plan was to walk across the street in front of the Bankruptcy Court building. The light was red for me but the cars that were coming down the street were a long way off and I decided that I could beat those cars if I would just run across the street. I took off but the next thing I knew, I was on all fours and when I fell, the contents of my purse and the papers I was carrying scattered all over the road.

Now for some reason, when I fall down (heck, when ANYBODY falls down) I start laughing. I’m on the pavement, laughing so hard that I can’t get up. It took me so long to get up, the cars that were way down there when I fell, caught up to me and had to stop to keep from hitting me. I was wearing a "just above the knee length" dress with panty hose and when I finally did get up, my panty hose were ripped at the knees and my knees were bleeding. And guess what? I wasn’t the only one laughing. There were a bunch of construction workers across the street at the Bankruptcy Court building and they were having a good ole time watching me gather all my stuff back together.

Well, I was a mess and all but I still had to go to the Courthouse. So, I hobbled down the street until I got to the Courthouse and I walked in, bloody knees and all. Boy, that felt good walking through the Courthouse with bloody knees while everyone else was all dressed up.
The first place I had to go was to the Sheriff’s Department to leave some papers that needed to be served. The lady behind the desk took one look at me and said, "honey, I think you’d look better if you just popped into the bathroom there and just took those panty hose completely off!" One of the deputies was standing there and I could tell he kinda felt sorry for me. I hobbled into the bathroom, threw the panty hose away and did my best to clean up my knees. When I opened the door, the deputy was standing there with this big giant size bag of M & M’s. He said maybe that would make me feel better.

I must have been a sight to see when I got back to the law office hobbling in with my torn up knees and my giant bag of M & M’s. One of my bosses was standing there in the hall. I walked up and said "I fell down on the way to the Courthouse." Would you believe he said, "Are you gonna sue us?" Can you believe that!!!! Not are you okay.....I’m sorry you got hurt.........nope. Just, are you gonna sue us? Yeah, right, dude, I’m gonna sue you for my clumsiness!

1 comment:

Eric Francis said...

Next time, your answer should be, "Only if you don't give me a raise."