Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THE DAY I MET FLOCK OF SEAGULLS






Back in the early 80's, Flock of Seagulls played at a local bar/restaurant in town. I was a huge fan and so excited that they were coming to Little Rock. I got my tickets early and couldn’t wait to see them live!

Finally, the day arrived. Baby’s Daddy and I went to the restaurant early for dinner and while we were sitting at our table, Flock of Seagulls came walking through. I was so excited, Baby’s Daddy told me to go ahead and catch up to them. I jumped up from the table and caught up with the lead singer, Mike Score. I blurted out - can I please meet you? And he said - I don’t know, can you? In his British accent I might add. I knew better than to say can I, instead of may I, but I just was so excited! I wasn’t thinking about proper English. Man........I was just crushed. I was much younger then. I’ve learned since then not to bother a band before they play. They usually are nervous, have a lot on their mind and don’t wanna talk to fans until after the show. Needless to say, Mike Score was NOT very nice to me. He was rude and I only talked to the band for a few seconds.

I still stayed for the show which was awesome. I even saw them several years later at a different venue in Little Rock. But I will never forget how really little he made me feel when he looked down at me and said, I don’t know, can you? I just wanted to act out the lyrics to one of their most popular songs:

And I ran, I ran so far away.

No comments: