Sunday, December 7, 2008

QUOTE OF THE DAY

AUTHOR - FAYE KELLERMAN
TITLE - MERCEDES COFFIN

I was an unusual kid especially when I was at school. I wasn't popular and I was really shy when I was around the popular kids. I just wasn't like all of them. I was a bit like Samantha in Sixteen Candles. I wasn't into the things a lot of the other girls were.....they were into partying and boys and sleeping around. I liked to read and was really, really, really into music. My favorite artist was KISS while the other girls were into Shaun Cassidy. Isn't it funny what passes for weird when you're in school changes to eclectic when you grow up? I think the characteristics that made we nerdy back then make me interesting now. The following quote from "Mercedes Coffin" is a teacher talking to a female student. I certainly wasn't as smart as the girl in this book but when I look back now, I'm awfully glad I wasn't really pretty and popular. I've worked for everything I have and am. I'm really only friends with one of my highschool classmates. I call her "The Librarian" because she is a librarian for one of the highschools close to my hometown. She turned out well too. I think she would agree with me that it sure would have been nice to have a teacher tell us that highschool wasn't the end all.....that there was life after highschool. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a teacher tell you something similar to the following:
People are all different, Genoa. Some are short, some are tall, some are musical, some are artistic, and the rarefied few like you are endowed with incredible brainpower. That head of yours is going to carry you through life, young lady. It's like the old tortoise and the hare story. You're going to get there, Genoa. You're going to get there, and I firmly believe you're going to surpass all your classmates because you have the one organ that can't be fixed by plastic surgery.

No comments: