Thursday, December 4, 2008

CHATTY CATHY!

The first doll I ever had was a Chatty Cathy doll. She looked like the doll above except she had blond hair. I got her for X-Mas and I could pull a string on the back of her neck and she would talk. I carried her everywhere with me. Several months after X-Mas, the little round ring on the end of the string broke and the string went through the hole in her neck and into her back. I was disappointed that she wouldn't talk. My dad said he would fix her. He brought her back to me sometime later and said that he had a little bit of trouble but that he had fixed her and she could talk again. I turned her around to pull the string and....yeah....I could get to the string....because she didn't have a back anymore. My dad had chipped and chipped and chipped away her back trying to get to the string until.....well, she just didn't have a back anymore. But, boy, she could talk.

Bless Dad's heart, he always meant well. One time, I went home for a visit and he told me he would change the oil in my car for me. He got confused, drained out all the antifreeze and refilled it with oil. He felt so bad about it! I felt sorry for him. He had to take it to a mechanic and I couldn't leave till it was fixed. I missed work the next day and everything. He could never understand after that why I wouldn't let him work on anything of mine. He would say I only messed up once.

Um....I got off track, didn't I? Anyway, does anybody remember The Chatty Cathy doll? When I looked for her picture on the internet, several versions came up. Did you have a Chatty Cathy doll? If so, what did she look like?

No comments: