Wednesday, December 17, 2008

OH HAPPY DAY FOR ME (AND OTHER MIGRAINE SUFFERERS)

FINALLY! Imitrex has come out in a generic form. I've been waiting several years for this! If you suffer from migraines like me you know why I'm so happy. I've had migraines for 22 years now. When I started having them, there was no such thing as Imitrex. I tried everything.....biofeedback, I went to a chiropractor and I don't know how many different medications I have been on including beta blockers. Nothing helped. When I would get a migrane, it would last for 3 days. I'd spend those 3 days in a closet, in the dark. Finally, Imitrex came on to the market. I remember the day I took my first Imitrex. I thought to myself....this will never work. In 30 minutes, my migraine was gone. Like I'd never had one at all!
If you had the chance to meet one person who had influenced your life....who would it be? I wouldn't want to meet an actor or musician, etc. I would want to meet the creator of Imitrex and shake that person's hand for changing my life.
Imitrex is expensive and the generic is expensive also but when you're in pain, you'll pay anything to get the pain to go away. Heck, if they outlawed Imitrex, I'd be just like a junkie...buying it on the street!
Luckily, I have insurance. Imitrex costs me $30.00 for 9 pills and now that there is a generic form, $10.00 for 9 pills. Without insurance, the pharmacist said that the generic would cost $160.00 some odd dollars for 9 pills. YOUCH!!! But.....Imitrex is even more than that!!! I remember years ago, before I had insurance, I used to buy Imitrex one pill at a time. Back then, it was $18.00 a pill. I would wait until the pain was so bad I had to have one. I'd go to the pharmacy, order my pill and wait. I remember at the pharmacy there was this metal bar by the checkout line and I would put my head up against this bar because it was cold and just wait for them to call my name. Gee, those were awful, painful days. Then they changed the packaging so you had to buy 9 at a time. I remember before insurance paying $170.00 for 9 pills but apparently since I've had insurance (about 4 years now) the cost has skyrocketed. The pharmacist did say that the cost of the generic will go down fairly soon.
Just wanted to pass along to migraine sufferers that there is now a generic equivalent to Imitrex which is Sumatriptan and it's less expensive than Imitrex!

2 comments:

Eric Francis said...

Found this on Wikipedia and thought I'd share:

"Large doses of sumatriptan (200 mg/day) can cause sulfhemoglobinemia, a rare condition in which the blood changes from red to greenish-black, due to the integration of sulfur into the hemoglobin molecule[5]. If sumatriptan is discontinued, the condition reverses within a few weeks."

Soooooo, don't go too crazy with your new, cheap drugs, Baby!

Kelly said...

Well, here's the deal. I don't take em every day. I take one when I feel a headache coming on. And that's 50 mg. I'd have to take 4 a day, every day for my blood to turn green. And I'd rather have green blood than a headache, anyway. Wait...on second thought....um......are you saying that over the years, little by little, I've turned into a Vulcan? Come mere, baby, let me work some of that tension out of your shoulders.