Thursday, September 18, 2008

THE REASON I'M AN ONLY CHILD




When I was a kid, my mom went to the beauty shop every Thursday night. In the 70's, she had this B-52 hairstyle like Kate Pierson......except not as cool as Kate’s. She would come home Thursday night and her hair would be all nice and teased up. She looked like a conehead! Birds could have lived in that thing. I mean, it was just scary!
She wore this thing on her head in bed at night that was supposed to keep her hair from getting mussed up. It was made out of sponge covered with terry cloth. It wrapped around her head and then fastened with velcro. It was bright blue. My mom was the original Marge Simpson. That contraption didn’t work very well either. Each day her hair would fall a little more...a little more.....until her hair would start to look like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I’d love to have a picture of that thing and have searched on the internet to no avail.
I know, in my heart, that headband thingie is the reason I’m an only child. If I were my dad, I wouldn’t have touched it with a ten foot pole. Talk about cheap birth control!

No comments: