Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Home Town






I grew up in a small town in Missouri. West Plains – hometown of Porter Wagoner. That just about says it all. I wasn’t country when country was cool. I left there when I was 18. Actually, I ran. Didn’t look back, didn’t pass go, didn’t collect $200.00. I’ve been in Little Rock for almost 30 years now. West Plains, MO and Little Rock, AR. Two very different worlds. What was it like living in a small town where:

1. there were no stoplights. Just four-way stops;
2. your dad was the hometown barber;
3. the only radio station in town played country until 5:00;
4. you went to the grocery store and didn’t just run into somebody you knew…you knew most everybody in the cars that you passed on the way to the store, every customer and every employee there;
5. you were a 15-year-old girl who was a huge KISS fan while all your other girlfriends were into Shaun Cassidy.

Well, let’s see. It was a trip. I’ve always said God gave me two things……my dad and a sense of humor. Yeah, I was out of there as soon as I graduated from high school. I love Little Rock and would never go back. But as I grow older I realize that I’m glad I grew up in that little town. Home of Preacher Roe who was a famous baseball player back way before I was even born. I cherish the good memories and have come to terms with the bad ones. I’m gonna blog about lots of experiences, feelings and just clutter in my head. There will be lots of stories of WP….gotta write about it…..before I get so old I can’t remember what it was like to be a kid growing up in a small town.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I like your blog Kelly. Since you are really into music you should try and weave stories about all the music you have heard and how it impacted you. Keep on writing.