Monday, March 23, 2009

SCIENCE FICTION CONVENTION

So the Editor and I went to a Science Fiction Convention in Memphis this weekend. Lots of fun. He actually wanted to go this year because they added several science fiction writer workshops to the convention. He and I were both hoping that I wouldn't be bored. I HAD A BLAST. I thought the workshops were really interesting. We went to several of them. Here are a few of the workshops we attended: Strong Woman Characters, Exploring and Experiencing Creativity, Roundtable with Publishers and Editors, Are Agents Necessary, Writing Great Openings, I Finished My Manuscript, Now What?

They also had a room for the Authors to set up booths so they could sell their books. That was really cool. Books, T-Shirts, Games, Jewelry, Artwork...........all with a science fiction theme.

We've already decided we wanna go back next year. We were there for two days but I'm hoping we stay three days next year.

I got to meet C.J. Cherryh which was really cool. Also, there were lots of people in costume. They had a costume contest and that was fun too. Lots of space-shippy characters there...including this dude:



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CJ Cherryh is one of my faves -- she used to teach Latin and has a beginner's guide online that I visit from time to time trying to teach myself the rudiments.

We'll have to do lunch or dinner one of these days so you can tell us what was cool about your chat.

Kelly said...

Eric would love that. Ms. Cherryl was my favorite out of the whole convention. She was in two (maybe three) of the workshops we went to. Very smart and personable. You should e-mail Eric about it. He took notes and typed them up. I'm sure he'd love to send them to you. And we would love to get together for dinner!