Tuesday, March 24, 2009

100 BEST NOVELS


So the Editor and I found this list online at www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.com.
It has two different lists of 100 books each......The Board's List...........The Reader's List. I decided that I would try to start reading these books in order.....starting with The Board's List. I've read some of these books, including #2 on the list which is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I loved that book. Anyway, I tried to read #1 - Ulysses by James Joyce. I never made it through even the first chapter. Just didn't like it. The same for #3 which was also by James Joyce - a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I got through the first 60 pages (1/4) and then applied my little reading test which is if I get that far in a book and I don't care whether the characters live or die....I stop reading it. So now, I'm starting #4 - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I can't put it down! I've seen both movies made from the book and I think the book is gonna be even better!
Check out the first few sentences of Lolita:
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-Lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

No comments: