Monday, January 12, 2009

LUNAR HALO LAST NIGHT!

This picture really does not do justice to the sight we saw last night. The Editor took this picture and he explains it best:

"For those of you awake late last night, (or, like us, awakened by a phone call) who went outside, there was a spectacular sight. A lunar halo surrounded the moon, in what looked like a pale, circular rainbow. I took some photos but it was at the very limit of my camera's ability under those conditions, especially with a bright streetlight right next to my house.

From the little reading I did, lunar holoes are caused by moonlight refracting through ice crystals in very high clouds. It covers about 44 degrees of the sky; from our point of view, it looked to be eight or 10 times as wide as the moon."

Okay, back to me. In my own words....it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. And what touched my heart even more was the fact that my son wanted me to share in seeing this with him. How wonderful that he thought of me and wanted me to experience something so beautiful with him.

2 comments:

Eric Francis said...

I particularly liked where I explain how it covers 44 degrees of sky. That makes me sound very smart! Although I think it was actually a little colder than that, don't you?

Kelly said...

Oh, yeah. It was like 4 degrees out there! Or maybe 3.