Wednesday, January 14, 2009

CD REVIEW - JULIAN COPE


ARTIST - JULIAN COPE
CD - INTERPRETER

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Julian Cope so imagine my happiness when The Editor and I found the above CD (which is packed in a little box) at Savers for $3.00. Oh, yeah. Cheap and sweet. After listening to it from beginning to end while I was by myself driving to and from work......I just fell in love with this CD. Songs full of aliens, the sun, the moon, spaceships, trees, the earth, etc. It is totally a concept album. I found the review below on Amazon.com by Jim Derogatis. He nailed this CD so I just decided instead of me trying to explain it.......I'd put his review below. What a find for me!!!

Genuine rock eccentrics are so hard to come by these days that we settle for transparent poseurs in bad Halloween makeup. Julian Cope is the real deal-so thoroughly out there that he was too weird even for American Recordings. Fans in the U.S. have had to wait a year for him to find a domestic label for this, his 20th album(!), but now it's here, and it doesn't disappoint. The former leader of The Teardrop Explodes is once again examining some of his favorite themes-environmental panic, pagan mystery, goddess worship, and technological fascism-tying them all together in a concept album about aliens visiting the earth in ancient times and giving us the secrets to personal happiness. I don't claim to understand it all, but the massive hooks, freaky Krautrock synthesizers, driving rhythms, and Cope's Iggy Pop-on-acid vocals mean that I don't have to, and neither will you. Just check out "I Come From Another Planet, Baby." Truer words were never sung. --Jim Derogatis

No comments: