Thursday, April 16, 2009

QUOTE FROM A BOOK


TITLE - FIRST FRIENDS
AUTHOR - MARCIA WILLETT
"It would have been so much easier if Mark had been unfaithful to me or beat me up. Mental cruelty is so insidious. How do you explain to people what it's like to live with someone who chips away at your confidence, puts you down in public? It's so difficult to verbalize without sounding like a wimp. Eleven years of small, unrelated incidents calculated to keep you in your place. I realize now that Mark worked on the Gamesmanship principle – if you're not one up you're one down."
Sadistic Mama's Boy wasn't named Mark but Mark in First Friends really reminds me of him. The quote above from Marcia Willett's book explains to a tee what it was like being married to SMB....well, except I'm pretty sure he was unfaithful to me. At least, he tried with all my female friends but got turned down. I've always said, if he had to cheat on me, he shouldn't have tried in his own backyard!!!! For me, it was twelve years of small, unrelated incidents. I was lucky and got out of that marriage. I'm only halfway through First Friends but it looks like Kate (Mark's wife in the book) is gonna get out also! YAY FOR HAPPY ENDINGS!

No comments: