Monday, June 1, 2009

OH, OKAY, I UNDERSTAND NOW, I THINK!

So about a month ago, I saw this video by “Peter Bjorn and John” called “Nothing to Worry About” and I just thought it was like one of the craziest videos I'd ever seen. I couldn't really figure out what was going on so I showed the video to The Editor and he too was just bewildered. Today, on my lunch hour, I was outside reading my current book. Over the Edge by Jonathan Kellerman. The following is a quote from the book that I think must explain the video The Editor and I viewed.
Watch the video and then read the quote. What do you think?




“Last year, when I was in Tokyo, I saw an exhibition of street dancing by these Japanese youth gangs that dress up like fifties greasers. They're called zoku - tribes. There are several rival groups, and each one stakes out its own turf in Yoyogi Park on Sunday afternoon. They come on like hoods in black leather, sneering and posturing, set down ghetto blasters with cassette decks and dance to Buddy Holly tapes. It shocks the older generation, which, of course, is the whole idea. But if you look closely, you can see that there's nothing spontaneous about any of it. All the dances – every movement and gesture – are rigidly choreographed. Every gang's got its set routine. No deviation, not a trace of individuality. They've turned rebellion into a Shinto ritual.”

2 comments:

Eric Francis said...

That makes sense to me. Now that you mention the passage from the book, it reminds me that in "Third Helpings," Calvin Trillin writes about being in Japan and seeing a huge crowd of young people, decked out in bobby socks and poodle skirts, descending upon a public square at the same time every evening to execute perfectly choreographed '50s dances.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm that is strange. Is that th "in Thing" there? I reckon. I think the passage from th ebook explains it well.